All about nitrogen
2019 has been proclaimed the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements by the UN General Assembly. We’re delighted to see nitrogen right up there at atomic number 7 – after all, it’s the stuff we use to put the bubbles in our AZOTE® and ZOTEK® foam ranges. So today we’re sharing our love for nitrogen along with some facts you probably didn’t know:
- Discovered by Scottish physician Daniel Rutherford in 1772
- Colourless inert gas that makes up 78% of the air we breathe
- Liquid below -196°C (its boiling point)
- Makes up about 3% of the human body
- The French word for nitrogen is azote – hence Rubazote®, Plastazote®, Evazote®, Zotefoams (as the company became known following a management buyout from BP in 1992) and subsequently AZOTE®, the umbrella brand for our polyolefin foams. Voilà!